RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
Indoor Air Quality
Energy Conservation through Energy Storage for Buildings
Heat and Mass Transfer in Built Environment
Bachelor degree (1985), Master degree (1988) and Ph. D degree (1991) in University of Science and Technology of China
Visiting scholar in Stuttgart Univ., Germany (1994-95), Tokyo Univ., Japan (1996), and Technique Univ. of Denmark (DTU) (2004) and the Otto Mønsted visiting professor of DTU, Denmark (2007/2008)
July 1999 –present, TSINGHUA UNIVERSITY, Professor, Department of Building Science and
Technology, Deputy director and director (since Sept., 2008) of Institute of Built Environment.
May 1997 –July 1999, TSINGHUA UNIVERSITY, Associate Professor, Dept. of Thermal Engineering Deputy director of Institute of Built Environment.
Oct. 1993 –Apr. 1997, UNIV. OF SCI. AND TECHNO. OF CHINA, Dept. of Thermal Science and Energy Engineering, Associate professor and Vice-chairman of Dept. of Thermal Science and Energy Engineering.
Oct. 1991 –Oct. 1993, UNIV. OF SCI. AND TECHNO. OF CHINA, Assistant professor, Department
of Thermal Science and Energy Engineering
RESEARCH PROJECTS (Selected in the past 10 years)
1. VOC emission/adsorption prediction and control: Micro and meso scale study, National Outstanding Young Researcher Award Project, Nature Science Foundation of China (NSFC), 2008-2011.
2. Indoor furniture labeling, key project of Beijing Ministry of Science and Technology, 2009-2011,
3. Control of organic pollutions in indoor air, 11th 5 year key project of Ministry of Science and Technolgy of China, 2006-2010.
4. Indoor material / product VOC emission control, 11th 5 year key project of Ministry of Science and Technolgy of China, 2006-2010
5. Investigation of indoor VOC and harmful microbe control by using novel air cleaning techniques, key project of Nature Science Foundation of China (NSFC) 2005-2008.
6. Emission characteristics of building material, project of Nature Science Foundation of China (NSFC), 2005-2007.
7. Study on some key problems of removing VOCs by using PCO techniques, project of Nature Science Foundation of China (NSFC), 2003-2005.
8. Preparation and thermal performance of micro-encapsulated phase change slurries, project of Nature Science Foundation of China (NSFC), 2001-2003.
9. Preparation and thermal performance of shape-stabilized phase change material, project of Nature Science Foundation of China (NSFC), 1998-2000.
10. Fire retard performance of shape-stabilized phase change material, Key fundamental project, Ministry of Science and Technolgy of China, 2002-2006.
11. Application of shape-stabilized phase change material in solar house, Advanced Technology Project, Ministry of Science and Technolgy of China, 2002-2004.
HONORS AND AWARDS
1. Outstanding Young Researcher Award, National Science Foundation of China, 2007
2. Award for Nature Science Research, Ministry of Education, P. R China , 2005
3. Excellent Young Researcher, Tsinghua University, 2003
4. Chinese Excellent Young Researcher Fund, Ministry of Education, P. R. China, 2001
5. “Yindong Huo” Chinese Excellent Young Researcher Award (2 persons for Energy Field for every two years, China), Ministry of Education, P. R. China, 1994
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
Fellow of Inter. Academy of Indoor Air Science
Administrative Vice-chairman and Secretary-in-chief, Chinese Association of Indoor Environment and Health.
Director, Chinese Society for Building Physics.
Director, Chinese Energy Research Committee.
Member of following editorial boards
Indoor Air (SCI source journal)
Indoor and Built Environment (SCI source journal)
Inter. J. of Transfer Phenomena
Chinese Science Bulletin (SCI source journal)
Inter. J. of Low Carbon Technologies
Acta Energiae Solaris Sinica (Solar Energy) (In Chinese)
Building Energy Conservation (In Chinese)
Guest editor of special issue, Building & Environment, 2008
Guest editor of special issue, Facilities, 2007
Co-chair of 5th Inter. Workshop on Energy and Environment of Residential Buildings and 3rd Inter. Conf. on Built Environment and Public Health, Guilin, May, 2009.
Co-chair of 5th Inter. Symposium of Heating, Ventilating and Air-conditioning, Beijing, Sept. 2007.
Chairman of Inter. Workshop of Indoor Air Quality, Beijing, May, 2007.
Members of scientific committees of Inter. Conf. of Indoor Air (10th, 2005, Beijing, China; 11th, 2008, Copenhagen, Denmark) and Healthy Building (2009, Syracuse University, USA) and other over 10 Inter. Conferences.
Published over 80 International journal papers. The selected papers from them in the recent 10 years are:
On IAQ topic
1. Mo J H, Zhang Y P, Xu Q J, Zhu Y F, Lamson J J, Zhao R Y, Determination and risk assessment of by-products resulting from photocatalytic oxidation of toluene, Applied Catalysis B-Environmental. 89 (2009), 570-576.
2. Mo J H, Zhang Y P, Xu Q J, Lamson J J, Zhao R Y, Photocatalytic purification of volatile organic compounds in indoor air: a literature review, Atmospheric Environment. 43 (2009). 2229-2246.
3. Xiong J Y, Chen W H, Smith J F, Zhang Y P, Zhang J S, An improved extraction method to determine the initial emittable concentration and the partition coefficient of VOCs in dry building materials, Atmospheric Environment 43 (2009) 4102–4107
4. Wang X K, Zhang Y P, Yan W, A new method for determining the initial mobile formaldehyde concentrations, partition coefficients and diffusion coefficients of dry building materials, Journal of Air & Waste Management Association, 59 (2009), 819-825.
5. Xiong J Y, Zhang Y P, Wang X K, Chang D W, Macro-meso two scale model for predicting the VOC diffusion coefficients and emission characteristics of porous building material, Atmospheric Environment, 42 (2008), 5278-5290.
6. Zhang Y P, Luo X X, Wang X K, Qian K, Influence of temperature on formaldehyde emission parameters of dry building materials, Atmospheric Environment, 41(2007), 3203-3216.
7. Yang R, Zhang Y P, Xu Q J, A mass transfer based method for measuring the reaction coefficients of a photocatalyst, Atmospheric Environment, 2007, 41(6), 1221-1229.
8. Qian K, Zhang Y P, Little J C, Wang X K, Dimensionless correlations to predict VOC emissions from dry building materials, accepted by Atmospheric Environment, 41(2), 2007, 352-359.
9. Hu H P, Zhang Y P, Wang X K, Little J C, An analytical mass transfer model for predicting VOC emission from multi-layered building materials. Inter. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 50 (2007), 2069-2077.
10. Mo J H, Zhang Y P, Yang R, Novel Insight into VOC Removal Performance of Photocatalytic Oxidation Reactors, Indoor Air, 2005, 15 (4): 291-300.
11. Xu Y, Zhang Y P, A general model for analyzing VOC emission characteristics from building materials and its application, Atmospheric Environment, 2004, 38(1), 113-119.
12. Zhang Y P, Yang R, Zhao R Y, A model for analyzing the performance of photocatalytic air cleaner in removing volatile organic compounds, Atmospheric Environment, 37(24), 2003, 3395-3399.
13. Zhang Y P, Xu Y, Characteristics and formulae of VOC emissions from building materials, Inter. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2003, 46(25), 2003, 4877-4883.
14. Xu Y, Zhang Y P, An improved mass transfer based model for analyzing VOC emissions from building materials, Atmospheric Environment, 2003, 37 (18), 2497-2505.
On energy storage and heat transfer topic
15. Lin K P, Zhang Y P, Di H F and Yang R, Electrical heating system with ductless air supply and shape stabilized PCM for thermal storage, Energy Conversion and Management, 2007, 48 (2), 2016-2024.
16. Zhang Y P, Zhou G B, Lin K P, Zhang Q L, Application of Latent Heat Thermal Energy Storage in Buildings: State-of-the-art and Outlook, Building and Environment, 2007, 42, 2197-2209.
17. Zhang Y P, Yang R, Lin K P, Di H F, Jiang Y, Preparation, thermal performance and application of shape-stabilized PCM in energy efficient buildings, Energy and Buildings, 2006, 38(10), 1262-1269.
18. Zhang Y P, Lin K P, Zhang Q L, Di H F, Ideal thermal physical properties for free-cooling (or heating) buildings with constant thermal physical property material, Energy and Buildings, 2006, 38(10), 1164-1170..
19. Zhang Y P, Ding J H, Yang R, Wang X, Influence of additives on thermal conductivity of shape-stabilized phase change materials, Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells, 90 (2006), 1692-1702.
20. Lin K P, Zhang Y P, Experimental research of under-floor electric heating system with shape-stabilized PCM plates, Energy and Building, 2005, 37(3), 215-220.
21. Lin K P, Zhang Y P, Xu X, Di H F, Yang R, Qin P H, Modeling and simulation of under-floor electric heating system with shape-stabilized PCM plates, Building and Environment, 39 (2004), 1427-1434.
22. Hu X X, Zhang Y P, Novel insight and numerical analysis of convective heat transfer enhancement with microencapsulated phase change material slurries: laminar flow in a circular tube with constant heat flow, Inter. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, 45(2002), 3163-3172.
23. Zhang Y P, Jiang Y, Jiang Y, A simple method, T-history method, of determining the heat of fusion, specific heat and thermal conductivity of PCM, Measurement Science Technology, 1999, 10(3), 201-205.
Selected conference proceedings
International Conference Proceeding papers: over 80. The following are invited keynote speech papers.
1. Zhang Y P, Indoor VOCs: source control and air cleaning. The 11th Inter. Conf. of Indoor Air, Copenhagen, Denmark, Aug.17-22, 2008. Invited keynote speech.
2. Zhang Y P, Advances of PCO and TCO for removing indoor VOCs. International Environmental Safety and Human Health Workshop, Wuhan, China, Sept.9-10, 2007. Invited keynote speech.
3. Zhang Y P, Can we predict or design VOC emissions from building materials? Proc. of the 5th Inter. Conf. of Heating, Ventilating and Air-conditioning, Beijing, China, Sept.7-8, 2007. Invited keynote speech.
4. Zhang Y P, Flow Characteristics and Heat Transfer Enhancement of Latent Functionally Thermal Fluid, Proc. of the 5th Inter. Conf. On Sustainable Energy Technologies, Vinice, Italy, Aug.30-Sept.1, 2006, 64-77. Invited keynote speech.
5. Zhang Y P; Preparation, thermal performance and application of shape-stabilized PCM in energy efficient buildings, Proc. of the 4th Inter. Conf. On Sustainable Energy Technologies, Jinan, China, Sept. 23-25, 2005, China Architecture and Building Press, 371-378. Invited keynote speech.
6. Zhang Y P, Preparation, thermal performance and potential application of microencapsulated PCM slurry or PCM emulsion, Proc. of International Conference on Cryogenics & Refrigeration 2003, Hangzhou, P. R. China. Invited keynote speech.
1. Zhang Y P, Mo J H, Chapter 4, Real-time monitoring of organic compounds. In the book: Salthammer T., Uhde, E., Organic Indoor Air Pollutants: Occurrence, Measurement, Evaluation. Wiley-VCH, Germany, 2009.10, 65-99.
2. Zhang Y P, Zhang L Z, Liu X H, Mo J H, Mass Transfer in Built Environment, Beijing: Architecture Industry Publishing House of China. (In Chinese), July, 2006.
3. Zhu Y X, Zhang Y P, Li X T, et al., Built Environment, Architecture Industry Publishing Company of China, 129-182. 2005.7. Zhang Y P, Chapter 5, Indoor Air Quality. (National wide text book, in Chinese,).
4. Zhang Y P, Zhu Y X, Yang X D, Zhao B, Indoor Air Quality, Beijing: Architecture Industry Publishing House of China (In Chinese), National wide text book, will be published in Nov., 2010.