REASEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
Doctor of Engineering, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University, 2003
Master of Architecture, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University, 2000
Bachelor of Architecture, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University, 1997
Lecturer (08/2003-12/2008), School of Architecture, Tsinghua University
Associate Professor (12/2008-present), School of Architecture, Tsinghua University
Vice-chairman (09/2012-present), National Traditional Village, MOHURD
Vernacular Architecture (50-90 students in Spring)
Architectural Design (1-5 5th-year students in Spring and Fall)
Architectural Design (9 1st-year students in Spring)
4. Graduate Joint-studio
Architectural Design (10 1st-year students in Spring, with Professor Xu Maoyan)
The 16th Chinese Academic Conference on Vernacular Architecture, Guangzhou, China, November 2008
The 17h Chinese Academic Conference on Vernacular Architecture, Kaifeng, China, December 2009
The 18h Chinese Academic Conference on Vernacular Architecture, Jinan, China, November 2010
Hoian International Symposium on Heritage, Hoian, Vietnam, October 2009
International Policy Forum on Urban Growth and Conservation in Euro-Asian Corrdior, Istanbul, Turkey, May 2010
First-class Excellent Works-Residential Renovation Project of Hani People in Zhongzhai, Quanfuzhuang village, Xinjie town, Yuanyang County, Honghe prefecture, Yunnan Province, Outstanding Works of Pastoral Architecture,
Second-class Outstanding Example- Gaoyi Village Children's Library Project in Huitong County of Huaihua in Hunan Outstanding Example of Rural Architecture
For the long-term cooperation with the Ministry of Housing and Urban-rural Development, commissioning by the Ministry of Housing and Urban-rural Development, a number of issues related to the protection and utilization of traditional villages are completed; the publication of Complete Works of Traditional Folk Dwellings in China, "Analysis and Inheritance of Traditional Architecture in China", etc are participated
1. Technical Guide for Landscape Improvement of Traditional Villages 2013
2. Investigation and Technical Research on Traditional Residential Building Technology 2014
3. Research on Genealogy of Traditional Dwellings of Guangxi Autonomous Region, Chongqing Municipality, Sichuan Province, Yunnan Province, Tibet Autonomous Region and other regions 2014
4. Technical Guide for Regional Protection of Traditional Villages (Southeast Region) 2014
5. Research on Classification Pedigree Framework, Definition Standard and Classification Guide of Traditional Dwellings 2014
6. Research on the Construction Technology of Traditional Chinese Lift Beam Limber Structure Dwellings 2014
7. Preliminary Study on traditional Architectural Styles and Elements in Guangxi, Chongqing, Sichuan, Yunnan, Tibet and Guizhou 2014
8. Technical Guide and Case Analysis on the Protection of Traditional Chinese Villages (Renovation of Traditional Buildings) 2015
9. Analysis on Construction Technology of Traditional Chinese Beam Lifted Dwellings 2016
10. Research Organization, Site Selection, Defense and Other Aspects of the Shooting Outline of Wisdom of Traditional Chinese Architecture in Early Stage 2016
11. Summary and Promotion of Traditional Village Protection Demonstration 2017
12. Survey and Compilation of Traditional Beam and Timber Structure Building Construction Technology 2017
13. Overall Study on the Analysis and Inheritance of Traditional Architecture 2017
14. Research on the Cultural Value of Traditional Chinese villages 2017
15. Investigation and Research on Construction Techniques of Traditional Folk Dwellings in Eastern Fujian 2018
1. Chinese Vernacular Architecture.
As Professor Chen Zhihua said, Chinese Vernacular Architecture is the best historic evidence to eastern agricultural civilization. There are three cultural factors that have made China different from the west: clanism, pantheism and Keju (national exam for selecting officials). These three factors have responses in architecture respectively, which are ancestral halls, temples and educational buildings. Normally, the three types of buildings, which are combined with houses and others, assemble in one village to form an organic cultural system. A village should therefore be a basic unit to research or protect vernacular architecture in China. To collect and study villages in different places, different styles, different economic backgrounds, different ethnic groups and so on, we are then able to establish an integrated spectrum of Chinese Vernacular Architecture and Culture.
However, the fact is that we have no time to complete this important job, since China’s modernization comes so fast. Vernacular buildings locate mostly in countryside and with the large number of farmers entering cities as migrant workers, they bring city architecture back to their hometowns then they demolish the old houses to make rooms for the new. In 2006, the central government issued the policy of Building New Countryside. This policy has speeded up the demolishment of old buildings in villages throughout the whole country. A lot of traditional villages had been leveled before they were discovered by scholars.
Now we are standing at a critical point. During the next ten years, China will complete the change from traditional to modern. The mission of the scholars of my generation is to study and preserve Chinese vernacular buildings as many as possible.
2. Recent Books: A series of five on The Xianxia Trail.
3. Doctoral dissertation: An Architectural Study on Chinese Ancient Opera-buildings.
4. Book: The Castle-villages in Yu County.
5. Book: Two Ceramic villages: Saningkou & Zhaoxian.
6. An ongoing case study: A Hani Village called the Quanfu Middle Zhai.
7. A Digital Library of SRCA
8. Traditional architecture investigation in Hong Kong (twice, 1998 & 2000). Led by Professor Guo Daiheng, I was a member of her team.
1. Wang Zhiru, Luo Deyin. Study on Practice of Beautiful Village Residence in Shandong Under the Backgroud of Rural Revitalization——Taking Sunlong Village in Yi'nan County，Shandong as an Example[J]. City &House, 2019, 26(03):25-30.
2. Luo Deyin. Art to Villages: Infinite Future, Long Time Ahead [J]. Art observation, 2019(01):27-28.
3. Wang Heng, Luo Deyin. Analysis on Interactive Experience Landscape Construction of Traditional Villages——A Case Study of Landscape Construction Practice in Qiaoxiang Village[J]. City &House, 2018, 25(12):39-42.
4. Wang Zhiru, Luo Deyin. Research on Protection and Renewal of Traditional Villages Promoted by Conference Events——A Case Study of the Qiaoxiang Village in Meixian District, Guangdong[J]. City &House, 2018, 25(12):28-33.
5. Wang Zhiru, Luo Deyin. A Way of Rural Revitalization Based on Conference Events: A Case Study of the Qiaoxiang Village in Meixian District, Guangdong Province [J]. Development Of Small Cities & Towns,2018,36(07):5-10+62
6. Li Junjie, Luo Deyin. Tradtional Villages Need “Weak Landscape”—— Exploration On The Practice Of Traditional Village Landscape Construction[J]. Landscape Architecture, 2018, 25(05):26-31.
7. Luo Deyin. Can Traditional Villages Become Characteristic Towns? [J]. Tourism Tribune, 2018, 33(05):4-6.
8. Chen Mengyuan, Luo Deyin. Discussing The Significance Of Conference Event To The Implementation Of Rural Planning: A Case Study Of Taijiang County In Guizhou Province [J]. Urbanism and Architecture, 2018(13):21-24.
9. Luo Deyin. The Role of Exploratory Rural Architectural Design in the Protection of Rural Heritage -- Caprice by the Judges of the Second Rural Architecture Award [J]. Development Of Small Cities & Towns, 2017(10):9-11.
10. Luo Deyin, Li Junjie. Architectural Wisdom and Space Order of Big Countries [J]. Survey and Design of China, 2017(05):30-35.
11. Luo Deyin. Why is Creativity so Important in the Countryside [J]. Development Of Small Cities & Towns, 2017(03):17-19.
12. Yang Yuliang, Luo Deyin, Sun Na. Study on Spatial Feature of Multi-ethnic Settlement in Multiscale on the South Bank of the Yuanjiang River [J]. South Architecture, 2017(01):34-39.
13. Luo Deyin. Let Rural Heritage Return to People’s Life[J]. New Architecture, 2016(04):18-22.
14. Luo Deyin. Planning Practice of Traditional Villages -- Take West Kawamura as an Example[J]. Development Of Small Cities & Towns, 2016(07):19-22.
15. Zhou Lina, Luo Deyin. The Hakka Settlements Beside Upper Reach of Hanjiang River: The Research of Traditional Villages in Meizhou [J]. South Architecture, 2016(01):24-27.
16. Li Junjie, Luo Deyin. Return to the Way of Landscape Construction in Traditional Villages without Landscape Architects——Landscape Construction Practice of Xihe Village in Xin County [J]. Vernacular Landscape, 2015(12):80-88.
17. Luo Deyin. Popularization and Industrialization of Village Protection[J]. Development of Small Cities & Towns, 2015(11):22-24.
18. Luo Deyin, Wang Lujuan, Zhou Liya. The Way Out for Traditional Villages [J].Urban Environment Design, 2015(Z2):160-161.
19. Luo Deyin. Xianxia Ancient Road: the Ancient Commercial Road Connecting Zhejiang and Fujian Province[J].China Culture Heritage, 2015(02):94-102.
20. Luo Deyin. Village Conservation: The Activation of Architectural Minds as the Key [J]. New Architecture, 2015(01):23-27.
21. Luo Deyin. The Establishment of Chinese Traditional Villages [J].World Architecture, 2014(06):104-107+118.
22. Luo Deyin, Sun Na. Li-cha，the Eight Trigrams Village: Living With Flood [J]. South Architecture, 2014(01):30-33.
23. Sun Na, Luo Deyin. Notes of Remodeling for Hani Folk House [J]. Architecture Journal, 2013(12):38-43.
24. Luo Deyin, Huang Jing. Business History Investigation of Shanxi Merchants and Qingxu County in Qingyuan City [J]. China Ancient City, 2013(09):48-54.
25. Luo Deyin, Sun Na. Surveys and Analyses of Three Hani Villages[J]. Community, 2013(01):88-97.
26. Luo Deyin, Huo Xiao Wei & Zhang Jingjing, “A Research on Songyuanxia Village”, Community, vol 53. January, 2013.
27. Zhang Jingjing, Luo Deyin & Huo Xiao Wei, “The Ancestral Hall and the Ancestral Activities of Songyuanxia Viillage”, Community, vol 53. January, 2013.
28. Zhang Jingjing, Luo Deyin & Huo Xiao Wei, “A Research on Guihutang Village”,Community, vol 53. January, 2013.
29. Luo Deyin & Sun Na (mistaken as Huo Xiaowei, Zhang Jingjing & Qi Xiaojin), “Traditional Settlements of Hani, Yi, Dai and Zhuang Nationalities in Yuanyang County, Yunnan Province”, Community, vol 53. January, 2013.
30. Luo Deyin & Sun Na, “Surveys and Analyses of Three Hani Villages”, Community, vol 53. January, 2013.
31. Luo Deyin & Sun Na, “Quqi-A Zhuang People’s Village”, Community, vol 53. January, 2013.
32. Sun Na, Luo Deyin & Huo Xiao, “A Comparative Study on Traditional Dwellings of Hani, Yi, Dai and Zhuang Nationalities in Yuanyang County, Yunnan Province”, Community, vol 43. March, 2011.
33. Luo Deyin, Sun Na & Huo Xiao, “The Construction of a Hani Village: A Historical Study of Quanfu Middle Village, Yuanyang County, Yunnan Province”, Community, vol 43. March, 2011.
34. Luo Deyin, Sun Na & Li Ting, “An Analysis on Multi Holy Woods vs Single Moqiu Field in Quanfu Hani Village, Yuanyang County, Yunnan Province”, Community, vol 43. March, 2011.
35. Luo Deyin & Yin Lu, “The Interaction between Field Work and Library Work: In the case study of the Qinghu Wharf”, World Architecture, vol 247. January, 2011.
36. Yin Lu & Luo Deyin, “The Agricultral Elements in the Evolvement Mechanism of Chinese Traditional Villages”, South Architecture, vol 140. December, 2010.
37. Mao Ge & Luo Deyin, “A Research on the Village Emtrances of Longji”, Treatises on Architectural History. Vol 26. June, 2010.
38. Luo Deyin, “The Sanqingkou Ceramic Viallge”, Treatises on Architectural History. Vol 24. February, 2009.
39. Sun Na & Luo Deyin, “The Terraces and Villages of Longji”, Chinese Cultural Heritages, Vol 29. January, 2009.
40. Luo Deyin, “A Review of Hatje Lexicon der Architektur des 20. Jahrhunderts”,World Architecture. Vol 200. February, 2007.
41. Luo Deyin, “A Research on The Castles in Yu County”, Treatises on Architectural History. Vol 22. August, 2006.
42. Luo Deyin, “Facist Cities: Latina & Sabaudia”, World Architecture. Vol 193.July, 2006.
43. Luo Deyin. “A Research on Shijia Temple, Yu County”, Treatises on Architectural History. Vol 21. July, 2005.
44. Luo Deyin, “An Art Without Innovation:A Review on ‘Vernacular Architecture’”, World Architecture. Vol 177. March, 2005.
45. Luo Deyin. “Cinese Opera-building: Its Characters, Its Evolvement and Its Enlightenment”, Treatises on Architectural History. Vol 20. April, 2004.
46. Luo Deyin & Qin Youguo. “The Five Stages of the Relationship between Chinese Drama and Chinese Ancient Theatre”. Treatises on Architectural History. Vol 16.May, 2002.
47. Luo Deyin, Wu Kaihua and Xing Chunxiao. “Metadata and Knowledge Management in Architecture”. Journals of Chinese University Libraries, Beijing, April, 2002.
48. Luo Deyin & Qin Youguo. “The Acoustics Measurement and Analysis of De Heyuan Theatre in Summer Palace”. Treatises on Architectural History. Vol 13, October, 2000.
49. Luo Deyin & Qin Youguo. “Reverberation and Analysis of Two Ancient Theatres”. Central Chinese Architecture, Wuhan, April, 2001.
50. Luo Deyin. “Resource Collecting of Digital Library”. Treatises on Architectural History. Vol 15, October, 2001.
51. Luo Deyin. “An Analysis on the Weilongwu Buildings of Qiaoxiang Village, Meixian County, Guangdong Province”. International Conference on Architecture and Local Culture & ASC2001 Annual Convention, Beijing, December, 2001.
52. Luo Deyin & Qin Youguo. “The Development of Chinese Ancient Theatre-Stage”. Treatises on Architectural History. Vol 14, April, 2001.
1. Luo Deyin，“Research and Exploration of Rural Settlements”，China Building Materials Industry Press，September 2019.
2. Luo Deyin，“Reading Chinese Villages”，China Building Materials Industry Press，August 2019.
3. Luo Deyin，“On the Road -- BBS Annual Documentary of Rural Renaissance in China (iii)”，China Building Materials Industry Press，May 2019.
4. Luo Deyin，“On the Road -- BBS Annual Documentary of Rural Renaissance in China (ii)”，China Building Materials Industry Press，April 2018.
5. Luo Deyin，“On the Road -- BBS Annual Documentary of Rural Renaissance in China (i)”，China Building Materials Industry Press，June 2017.
6. Luo Deyin, Sun Na, Huo XIaowei & Gao Xiang，“The Villages in Honghe Hani Terraces” , Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, June 2013.
7. Luo Deyin & Huang Jing，“Qingyuan Town” , Beijing:Tsinghua University Press, June 2013.
8. Sun Na & Luo Deyin，“Longji Thirteen Villages” , Beijing:Tsinghua University Press, June 2013.
9. Luo Deyin & Wan Junzhe ，“Zhai Ji: China House 1990-2010 ” , Shanghai: The Tongji University Press, June 2010.
10. Luo Deyin，“Chinese Theatre-stage” , Nanjing: The Southeast University Press, September 2009.
11. Luo Deyin，“The Xianxia Trail” , Shanghai: Sanlian Bookstore, March 2009.
12. Luo Deyin，“The Qinghu Wharf” , Shanghai: Sanlian Bookstore, March 2009.
13. Luo Deyin，“The Xiakou Town” , Shanghai: Sanlian Bookstore, April 2009.
14. Luo Deyin，“The Nianbadu Town” , Shanghai: Sanlian Bookstore, April 2009.
15. Luo Deyin，“The Guanqian Wharf” , Shanghai: Sanlian Bookstore, October 2009.
16. Luo Deyin. “Two Ceramic Villages: Sanqingkou & Zhaoxian”, Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, January 2008.
17. Luo Deyin. “The Castle-villages in Yu County”, Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, November 2007.
18. Li Qiuxiang, Luo Deyin & Jia Jun, “Chinese Vernacular House: North”, Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, May 2010；
19. Li Qiuxiang, Luo Deyin, Chen Zhihua & Lou Qingxi, “Chinese Vernacular House: Zhejiang”, Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, May 2010；
20. Li Qiuxiang, Luo Deyin, He Congrong & Chen Zhihua, “Chinese Vernacular House: Fujian”, Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, May 2010；
21. Luo Deyin & Zhang Lan. Translation of “The Story of Architecture” (Written by Jonathan Glancey and published by D.K. Company), Beijing: Sanlian Bookstore, 2003.
22. Luo Deyin, Zhao Wenwen & Bao Zhiyu, Translation of “The Four Elements of Architecture and Other Writings” (Wrriten by Gottfried Semper and published by Cambridge University Press), Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, January 2010.