RESEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
Comparative Research on Urban Planning System in Different Countries
Theory and Methods of Urban Land Use Planning
Urban Spatial and Environmental Design
Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Osaka City University, 1990
Bachelor in Architecture, Department of Architecture, Tsinghua University, 1983
Professor (01/2006- present), School of Architecture, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Associate Professor (04/1996-12/2005), School of Architecture, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Visiting Scholar (09/2001 – 07/2002), Harvard University, USA
Visiting Scholar (02/2001 – 03/2001), Osaka City University, Japan
Assistant manager (03/1994 – 03/1996), Forest Overseas Co., Ltd. (Mori Building Group), Japan
Research Fellow (03/1990 – 03/1994), United Nations Center for Regional Development
1. Research on Development Plan of Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone (2006-2007)
2. Research on Urban Land Use Strategic in Beijing Metropolitan (2005-2007)
3. Research on Zoning System in USA (2003-)
4. A China – Japan Comparative Research on Large Scale Residential Districts Development (2007 - 2010)
5. A China – Japan Comparative Research on Conservation of Traditional Urban Area (2004 - 2007)
6. A Comparative Research on Urban Planning Management with Countries and Districts Abroad (1999 - 2001)
Introduction to Urban Planning and Design (115 students in Spring )
Urban Design (10 Students in Autumn)
Urban Land Use Planning and Control (15 Students in Autumn )
Urban Design for Master of Engineering (15 Students in Spring)
Introduction to Contemporary Urban Planning & Design(9 Students in Autumn)
HONORS AND AWARDS
1. Prize of Best Research Paper by National Committee of Urban Planning Education in Universities and Colleges, 2007
2. Secondary Prize of Best Research Paper by Academy of Higher Education in Tsinghua University, 2005
3. Secondary Prize of Best Selected Textbook in Tsinghua University, 2008
4. First Prize of Anniversary excellent faculty in 1998
5. Best Teaching Group Award for “Residential Building’s Planning and Design”,1997
6. 2005 UNESCO Asia-Pacific Heritage Awards for Culture Heritage Conservation, Jury Commendation for Innovation
PROFESSIONAL AFFILITIONS AND ACTIVITIES
International Workshop on Sustainable City Region, Bali, 2009
Urban China International Forum, Beijing, 2009
International Forum on Urban Development and Planning, Harbin, 2009
Commissioner of Urban Planning Society of China, and Cochairman of Foreign Urban Planning Commission
Commissioner of Beijing Urban Planning Association, and Cochairman of New Technology Application Commission
Specialist of Education Evaluation of Universities and Colleges in China
Member of editorial board at the International Urban Planning and the Regional and Urban Planning
Member of City Planning Institute of Japan
1. TAN, Zong Bo, A Personal View on Fundamental Urban Planning Education in China, China City Planning Review, 2009, No. 3, PP.34-41.
2. TAN, ZongBo, A Strategic Planning from Regional Aspect-Experience of the Research work on Development Plan of Guangxi Beibu Gulf Economic Zone, Urban Planning Forum, 2009, No.1, PP.16-22.
3. TAN, ZongBo, From Centralization to Decentralization-The Evolution of Power and Responsibility in Japanese Urban Planning and Some Thoughts on It, Urban Planning International, 2008, No.2, PP.26-31.
4. TAN, ZongBo, Urban Planning under the Circumstance of Property Low of 2007, Urban Planning International, 2007, No.6, PP.127-133.
5. TAN, ZongBo, Urban Planning Knowledge Structure Reflected by Courses offered in Universities, City Planning Review, 2005, No.6, PP.52-57.
6. TAN, ZongBo, Zhu AiXia, Conceptual Design of New Campus of Zhengzhou First High School, world architecture review, 2004, No.10, PP.128-133.
7. TAN, ZongBo, The Transfer of Foreign Urban Planning Techniques and Our Choice, Urban Planning Overseas, 2001, No.1, PP. 38-41.
8. TAN, ZongBo, The Formation, Problems and its Countermeasure of Tokyo Megalopolis: A Lesson to Beijing, Urban Planning Overseas, 2000, No.2, PP. 8-11.
9. TAN, ZongBo, An Introduction of Japanese Urban Planning Legislation System, Urban Planning Overseas, 2000, No.1, PP. 13-18.
10. TAN, ZongBo, Dong, Ke, A study on Macao’s Land Use and Planning System, City Planning Review, 1999, No.12, PP.30-35.
11. TAN, ZongBo, An Overview on Urban Planning Administration System of Japan, Urban Planning Overseas, 1999, No.4, PP. 6-11.
12. TAN, ZongBo, The Rising of Urban Land Price and Urban Planning in Japan - A Useful Lesson to China - Foreign City Planning, 1994, No.5, PP42-48.
13. TAN, ZongBo, A Private View of Technology Transfer in Urban Planning, C.P.I.J. City Planning Review, 1990, No.163, PP.24-27.
14. TAN, ZongBo, A Study on Physical Planning Items at District Level in Japanese Urban Development Projects-Cases in Osaka City and Sakai City, Journal of Architecture, Planning and Environmental Engineering (Transactions of A.I.J.), 1989, No.8, PP65-72.
Selected conference proceedings
1. Qian, Xiao, Tan, ZongBo, The Development and Changes of Residential Space in Beijing since 1949, International Symposium on Spatial Expansion and Housing Sustainability in Asian Mega-cities, Beijing, 2009.
2. Tan, ZongBo, A Consideration on Functions of Strategic Planning for Spatial Urban Development, Proceedings of China Urban Planning Society Annual Conference 2007.
3. Tan, ZongBo, A Consideration on Fundamental Courses of Urban Planning, Prize of Best Research Paper by National Committee of Urban Planning Education in Universities and Colleges, 2007.
4. Tan, ZongBo, Searching the New Path of Strategic Planning for Urban Development-Based on Some New Practice, Symposium on Macao’s Modernization and Urban Planning, Macao, 2006.
5. Tan, ZongBo, Liu, Rui, Transition of Land Use in Old Beijing City 1949-2002, Proceedings of International Symposium on Modernization and Urban Conservation in East Asian Capital Cities, Tokyo, 2006.
6. Tan, ZongBo, Transition of Land Use in Old Beijing City Based on GIS Technology, Proceedings of Workshop on informationization in Urban Planning Administration, Shanghai, 2005, PP.72-94.
7. Tan, ZongBo, An Argument on Urban General Plan’s Function in China from a Perspective of the Urban Planning Dual-structure in Western Countries, Proceedings of China Urban Planning Society Annual Conference 2004.
8. Tan, ZongBo, Liu, Rui, the Changing Old Beijing City: A Brief Review on Its Conservation and Development, Proceedings of the Eighth Inter-University Seminar on Asian Megacities, 2003.
9. Tan, ZongBo, Urban Growth and Urban Planning of Mega-cities in China, 21st Century Asia: Economic Restructuring and Challenges of Mega-cities, The 70th Anniversary of Institute for Economic Research, Osaka City University, International Symposium, September 26-27, 2000.
10. Tan, ZongBo, Ma Yuan, Cityscape in Beijing, The complex and Paradox of a Traditional Asian Megacity, The Fifth Inter-University Seminar on Asian Megacities Proceedings, 2000.
11. Tan, ZongBo, the Characteristics of Beijing’s Cityscape and Investigation Plan, Proceedings of The Forth Inter-University Seminar on Asian Megacities, 1999.
12. Tan, ZongBo, a study on physical planning item during expansion of southern area of Osaka City-focusing on role of district planning in controlling physical setting, C.P.I.J. City Planning Review, special issue, 1989.
13. Tan, ZongBo, a study on physical design item in district planning and controlling in Japan-Cases in Osaka City and Sakai City, C.P.I.J. City Planning Review, special issue, 1988.
1. Tan, ZongBo. Introduction to Urban Planning and Design. Beijing: Tsinghua Univ. Pr., 2005
2. Tan, ZongBo. Urban Planning in Beijing, (Economy Research Institute of Osaka City University, Asian Megacities : Beijing & Shanghai. Tokyo: Nihonhyoron Pr., 2002 )
3. Gu,ChaoLin, Tan, ZongBo, Han, ChuanYang, Climate Change and Low-Carbon City’s Planning. Najing: Southeastern Univ. Pr., 2009
4. Tan, ZongBo, Urban Planning System in Japan, (Chen, XiaoLi, A Research on Urban Planning Framework under the Socialistic Market Oriented Economy. Beijing: China Construction Industry Pr., 2007)
5. Tan, ZongBo, Liu, Rui, Land Use Transition in Old Beijing city (1949 – 2004), (Research Group of Beijing Courtyard, Courtyards of Beijing. Tokyo: Chuokoron Bijutsu Pr., 2008 )
6. Written by Haraguchi, hideaki, Translated by Tan, ZongBo, Classical House Design in 20th Century: A Comparative Analysis of Space. Beijing: China Construction Industry Pr., 1997
7. Tsinghua University School of Architecture, Urban Planning Handbook 8: Conservation and Renew of Historical Cities. Beijing: China Construction Industry Pr., 2008.