REASEARCH AND TEACHING INTERESTS
Science of Human Settlement, Architecture, Urban Design, Urban studies and regional studies, etc.
1949, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, USA, Master of Architecture and Urban Design
1944, Department of Architecture, National Central University, Chongqing, Bachelor of Architecture
2005.4- , Assistant Researcher School of Architecture, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
2009-2010, visiting scholar, School of Design, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
PLANNING & DESIGN
2006-2007, Research on Preservation and Construction of Cultural Environment along the Grand Canal in the Process of Eastern line of the South to North Water Transfer Project of China. Research Project of the Office of the SNWTP, State Department of PRC
2004-2005, Master Plan for Beijing City
2003-Present, Design for Museum of Mountain Tai, Shandong Province
2003-Present, Design for Museum of Dream of the Red Chamber in Nanjing, Jiangsu Province
2003-2004, Research on history and development of Nantong & Design for Museum of Nantong, Jiangsu Province
2003-2004, urban development Strategy research for Tianjin
2002-2003, urban development Strategy research for Beijing
2002, Strategic Planning for Xuzhou, Anhui Province
2002, Strategic Planning for Suzhou, Jiangsu Province
1999-Present, Site Planning for Diaoyutai National Guest House and Reconstruction Design for Building 19, Beijing
1997-2000, Ecological Village and Housing Design, Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu Province
1996-99, Institute of Confucius, Qufu, Shandong Province
1996-98, Redevelopment of the Area of the Temple of White Pagoda, Beijing
1994-2001, Campus Planning and Design of the Central Academy of Fine Arts, Beijing
1994-95, Urban & Rural Development Plan of Changzhou, Jiangsu Province
1994-95, Urban & Rural Development Plan of Wuxi County, Jiangsu Province
1994-95, Urban & Rural Development Plan of Wuxi City, Jiangsu Province
1994, Urban & Rural Development Plan of Suzhou, Jiangsu Province
1994, Extension of the National Historical Museum, Beijing
1994, Interbau Moscow 1994, Urban Villa-"Oriental" International Competetion, Moscow, Russia
1992, Urban & Rural Development Plan of Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu Province (collaboration)
1992, Planning & Design of the Longfusi Area, Beijing (collaboration)
1990, Urban Design Plan of the Central Area of Sanya, Hainan Province (collaboration)
1987-92, Experimental Project of New Courtyard House Complex at the Ju'er Hutong, Beijing
1987, Urban Design Plan and Design Criteria, Central Urban Area, Guilin, Guangxi Province
1985, Restoration and Redevelopment of Huitongci Temple and Its Surroundings, Beijing
1979, "Beijing 2000" Urban Design Plan, Shi Cha Hai Area, Beijing
1976, National Library of Beijing, (collaboration, one of the five senior architects of the winning design)
1973, New East Wing of the Beijing Hotel, Beijing
1966-77, Planning and Design for the Tian An Men Square, Beijing
1958 & 1964, Planning of the Chang An Boulevard, Beijing
1950, Automobile Body Design Building of the General Motor's Technical and Research Center in Detroit, Birmingham, Michigan, USA (with Erro Saarinen at the Saarinen, Saarinen and Associates)
Participated in Master Planning in the following cities and towns: Beijing (1951-present), Qinghuangdao and Beidaihe (1951), Handan (1953), Baoding (1954), Tangshan (1976-1978), Beihai (1984), Guilin (1987), Jiuquan (1991), Zhangjiagang (1993), Suzhou (1994), Wuxi (1994), Liuzhou (1994) and etc
2006-present, Beijing Urban Planning, Construction and Management, Project of the Beijing Municipal Commission of Education
2007-present, comparatively study on the sustainable development of Four World Cities
2007-present, Exploration and Exposition on Invention and Creation of Traditional Human Settlements,”Compass Scheme”
2007-present, Experimentation of Scientific Achievement Cultural Heritage on Invention and Creation of Traditional Human Settlements
2007-present, Research on the Urban Development strategy and urban design for the Central Axes area of Qufu City, from the View of Regional culture
2003-present, Project director, Project titled Research on long-term Planning, commissioned by the ministry of Science, China
2003-present, Project director, Project titled Research on Urbanization and Cultural development in China, commissioned by Chinese Academia of Engineering
1999-2001, Project director, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University. Project titled Research on the Rural and Urban Spatial Development Planning for Greater Beijing region, China.
1999-2001, Project director, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University. Project titled China Housing 2000, an international collaboration research work with ARCHIBAN Seok Chul Kim & Associates and Hanssem Corporation, Korea.
1998-present, Project director, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University; Project titled Human Settlements of Sustainable Development in China: A Study on Basic Theories and Paradigms, a key project funded by the State Natural Science Foundation of China.
1998-present, Project director; Project titled A Study on the Sustainable Development of Human Settlements in the North-western Yunnan Province and case study in Zhongdian County for Master Plan and Urban Design Project.
1996-98, Director, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University; Project titled New Paradigm of Urban Development in the North-Eastern Asia, an international collaboration research work with institutions of America and Korea.
1992-97, Project Director. Project titled Conservation and Development of the Architectural Environment in the Economically Developed Regions Amid Rapid Urbanization: A Case Study of the Yangtze River Delta Region, a key project funded by the State Natural Science Foundation of China
1992-97, Director, School of Architecture, Tsinghua University; Project titled A Study on Beijing Mega-City Development, as apart of the AURN (Asian Urban Research Network), an international collaboration research work funded by Canadian International Development Agency)
Introduction of Sciences of Human Settlements (60 students in autumn)
HONORS AND AWARDS
2006 The First Prize of the 4th Architecture Design Award for the Project of Research Institute of Confucius, (Architectural Sociaty of China)
2006 The Excellent Prize of the 4th Architecture Design Award for the Project of Campus Planning and Design of the Central Academy of Fine Arts (Architectural Sociaty of China)
2004, 1st Prize of Beijing Teaching Production Award for High Education
2003, 1st Prize of National Excellent Book Award for science and technology and the Mention of National Book Award on the book of Research on the Rural and Urban Spatial Development Planning for the Greater Beijing Region (Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei)
2003, 1st Prize for Excellent Architecture design, Ministry of Education, China, on the Campus Planning and Design of the Central Academy of Fine Arts, Beijing
2002, Prince Claus Funds Award
2000, 2nd Prize for the Scientific and Technological Research Progress, Ministry of Education, China, on the Planning Research Project of the Yangtze River Delta Region
2000, 1st Liang Ssu-ch'eng (Liang Sicheng) National Award of Architecture, Ministry of Construction, China
1999, Cavalier Medal of Culture & Art for significant contribution to the cultural exchange between China and France, French Government
1996, Jean Tschumi Prize, International Union of Architects
1995, Award of Science & Technology Achievement, Ho Leung Ho Lee Foundation
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
1st Class National Certificated Architect, National Certificated Urban Planner
Honorary Fellow of American Institute of Architects
Honorary Member of Architectural Institute of Japan
Honorary Fellow of Royal Institute of British Architects
Foreign Member of Russian Academia of Construction Science
Foreign Member of Bulgaria International Academia of Architecture
Member of French Academia of Architectural Science
Published several books and more than 300 academic papers including:
1. Research on the Rural and Urban Spatial Development Planning for the Capital Region (Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei). Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 2006
2. Zhang Jian and Nantong City, a Pioneering City of Modern China. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, 2006.
3. Buildings, Cities and Human Settlements. Shijiazhuang: Hebei Education Press, 2003
4. Research on the Rural and Urban Spatial Development Planning for the Greater Beijing Region (Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei). Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 2002
5. UIA Beijing Charter: The Future of Architecture (English and Chinese Versions). Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 2002
6. Pictorial notes of by WU Liangyong. Beijing: Sanlian Press, 2002
7. Selected Essays on Arts and Culture. Beijing: China Youth Press, 2002
8. Introduction Sciences of Human Settlements. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, 2001.
9. Reflection at the Turn of the Century: The Future of Architecture. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 1999.
10. Rehabilitating the Old City of Beijing: A Project in the Ju’er Hutong Neighborhood (English). UBC Press, 1999.
11. Conservation and Development of the Built Environment in the Economically Developed Regions Amid Rapid Urbanization in China. Beijing: Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, 2001.
12. Towards A New Century: Wu Liangyong's Selected Essays on Urban Studies 1987-96. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, 1996.
13. The Old City Of Beijing And Its Ju'er Hutong Neighborhood. Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, 1994.
14. China's Urban and Rural Construction: Today and Tomorrow. Beijing: China City Press, 1994.
15. A General Theory of Architecture. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 1990. Taipei: Earth-scape Press, 1992.
16. Selected Essays on Urban Planning and Design. Beijing: Yanshan Press, 1987.
17. A Brief History of Ancient Chinese City Planning (English edition). Kassel: Gesamthochschulbibliothek, 1985.
18. Town and Country Planning (as a textbook). Beijing: China Architecture & Building Press, 1961.